Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Gluten Free Eating--Tuesday

Well what a day it has been! With fresh supplies purchased from Good Foods yesterday, I had an entire day filled with options, something I have had since I started this whole new life and way of eating.

Breakfast started differently today than it did the day previously. Today I tried the new cereal that I got the previous day. Manufactured by EnviroKidz and called "Frosted Flakes" I was hoping that it tasted like, well, Frosted Flakes (by Kelloggs). I was in luck! It was pretty good....a little crunchy but good. Also, it lasted quite a while in milk, which was nice because I don't particularly care for soggy cereal. I'd highly recommend this to any GF eater out there who would like some "Frosted Flakes" in there life. Here are the EnviroKidz Amazon Frosted Flakes, they have a cute Honey Bear on the front of them.

After doing some cleaning and playing with my little one we had some lunch. For myself I prepared a sandwich made from Millet and Flax Bread from Sami's Bakery, along with some Carl Buddig Beef Lunch Meat and some Miracle Whip. Let's back up for a minute and talk about Carl Buddig Lunch meat. I'm not sure if this is available Nationwide. I'd never seen it before moving to the South. I don't remember ever seeing it in Suburban Philadelphia where I grew up. However, it's quite tasty, relatively cheap (cheaper than any other lunch meat at the grocery store) and here's the bonus, completely GLUTEN FREE!! Whoot whoot!

With my Carl Buddig lunch meat and miracle whip I tried the bread that I had bought at Good Food, Millet and Flax from Sami's Bakery. My previous experiences with gluten free food had been relatively good, with the exception of the puke-worthy bread. I'd found that this, so far, has been the key to my success. How did I find this bread? Well, since I had a cranky three year old in the cart with me I did what any smart consumer would do and asked the cashier. She recommended this bread to me and said "this is the one that I eat, it's pretty good." So I took her word for it and tried it. She wasn't kidding. It is absolutely without a doubt delicious. Not only can you not tell that it's not made from wheat, but it's moist and easily bendable. Previously, the bread I'd tried had been dry, easily breakable and didn't work well with, well, anything. This bread was good.....I toasted it, put my beef on, put some Miracle Whip on and enjoyed. Once again, delish. I then enjoyed some tasty Miguel's Fully Loaded chips....quite yummy if you ask me.

After fetching children off the bus, and bath time I prepared some Annie's Rice and Cheese Macaroni Dinner. This also was quite delicious. You couldn't tell that it was Rice pasta and it tasted like Kraft Mac and Cheese which was the best part. My six year old smelled it and came running and begged Momma to share some with him. So I did! And he loved it. The noodles were al dente (which is the way I like most pasta), the cheese sauce was cheesy and full of deliciousness. It was good meal, relatively inexpensive and easily prepared. With my mac-n-cheese I had green beans fresh from the garden and a piece of the Millet and Flax bread. A good night all in all....

No comments: